Uniform is an important part of the ethos of Woodbrook Vale School. We receive many positive comments about how smart our students look and how well they represent the school. We appreciate the support that parents / carers are able to provide in maintaining these high standards.
- Shirts must be white and tucked in at all times.
- Trousers must be formal. No skinny trousers, jean style, chinos, leggings or tracksuit bottoms are allowed.
- Ties should be worn to an acceptable length with the school logo visible. A clip-on tie is available if required.
- Jumpers must be plain black, no logo and worn under the blazer not instead of the blazer.
- Footwear must be plain black with no logo. Sandals or boots are not permissible.
- Outwear must be a plain coat or a layer worn over the blazer.
- On PE days students should only wear the Woodbrook Vale PE Hoodie. Shorts should be of an acceptable length.
- One pair of stud earrings is permissible. Apart from this, for safety and security reasons, jewellery, including bracelets, necklaces, rings and nose, face, body or oral jewellery should not be worn in school. If such jewellery is worn students will be expected to remove it. It may be confiscated and students and/or parents/carers will be informed when it can be collected.
- Tattoos are not permitted.
- Make-up is not permitted in Years 7 and 8.
- Light makeup in Years 9, 10 and 11 is allowed.
- False eyelashes are not permitted.
- Nail varnish, including acrylic or gel nails are not appropriate for school and should not be worn.
- Hair styles should not be extreme. This includes closely shaved, decoratively shaved or vivid coloured hairstyles.
- The school would wish to be sensitive towards students who choose to wear a specific item if it is for a religious reason.
Please note - School Blazer, School Tie, School checked skirt, School PE Polo Shirt, School PE Hoodie, are available from Orchard Clothing. All other items can be purchased from Orchard Clothing or from a shop of your choice as long as they meet the school uniform requirements.
On days that students have PE timetabled students should wear their PE kit to school. They must not wear PE kit on non PE days. Our expectations regarding PE kit are as follows:
- Embroidered PE polo shirt
- Embroidered PE hoodie (now compulsory)
- Black tracksuit bottoms, black shorts or black sports leggings. No hot pant style shorts.
- Trainers suitable for sport (not necessarily black)
These are the only items that will be accepted, and we expect all students to adhere to this.
Students may also be asked to bring a change of footwear depending on the location of their lesson or the type of activity they are participating in (e.g playing on a muddy field).
You can find the link to Orchard Clothing for the purchase of compulsory PE items below:
Uniform Cost comparison
In line with government guidance Woodbrook Vale School has kept the number of uniform items with school logo to a minimum. Non-branded items and low cost suppliers can be used for many items. An average Woodbrook Vale uniform cost is under the national average.
Sustainability matters and the school uniform
Many young people are realising that having a preloved uniform is better for the environment. Why use up the earth’s natural resources making things over and over again? For this reason we have introduced a swap scheme for school hoodies where students can exchange a hoody they have outgrown for a bigger one. We intend to do the same for blazers. In addition a significant amount of preloved uniform is available through the school where previous students have donated items in good condition that they no longer need. Parents and carers who wish to find out about preloved items or the swap scheme can contact Mrs Hibberd JHibberd@wbvs.co.uk
Personal Protective Equipment
Gumshields and shin pads are strongly recommended for Football, Rugby and Hockey lessons and extra curricular activites.
Design and Technology
Aprons are provided to protect clothing when students are doing design work.
Equipment for learning
Students need to be ready to learn, which includes bringing a school bag and the correct equipment to school each day. All students must have the following equipment with them at all times:
- Blue/Black pen (x2)
- Coloured pencils/pens
- Scientific calculator
- A suitable reading book
If a student needs to bring a mobile phone to school it must be switched off and in the school bag. Mobile phones will be confiscated and parents required to collect them every time if students are found to have them on their person or out during the school day.
All property and clothing should be clearly marked with your name.